Thursday, September 29, 2005

Now using Opera 8.5

With much despair, I admit I am now using Opera's latest (free of ads) offering, version 8.5. While I still maintain that Firefox is a better option (as I maintain with the button on this page), I just wanted to see what the fuss was all about.
For one, Opera does not have a rich text editor (hence, this post is also being typed without it and am not sure what font would be displayed on the page). Second, the number of extensions that are available are too few and an even fewer number of these is of any use to a power user.
RSS feeds are received a la e-mail and this can be quite cumbersome instead of having something like the InfoRSS reader I had in Firefox.
The look-and-feel of Opera, though, is far superior as is the functionality. The added integration of an e-mail client also helps (but this can be a negative since one crash crashes it all).
If you are the adventurous types, give it a whirl. Else, stick to FF.

@ Mozilla: I think it's time you guys cured the security flaws that have been cropping up. Else, I (and many others) can learn to live without a rich text editor!

p.s.: Sorry, can't link to anything using this. I am also too lazy to type the entire line of code just to link you to InfoRSS (http://inforss.mozdev.org/) or the Opera download page (http://opera.com/free/).

posted by Scribbler @ 12:01 am

My Photo
Name:
Location: Pune, Maharashtra, India

I'm a photographer, writer, geek and sports fan!











Powered by Blogger

Design by Beccary



www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from Scribbler-A. Make your own badge here.






Get Firefox!